How Do I Legalize Documents for Use Abroad?

Legalizing the documents and certificates required for the export of cosmetic products depends upon whether the country of export is a signatory to the Hague Convention of 1961, also known as the Apostille Convention.

  • The Export-Import Bank of the United States (Ex-Im Bank) is the official export credit agency of the United States. Ex-Im Bank's mission is to assist in financing the export of U.S. goods and services to international markets.
    Link to Export-Import Bank of the US
  • The US Small Business Administration (SBA) provides counseling, training and financing to support small business export opportunities.
    Link to US Small Business Administration
  • Apostille Convention Members: If you are exporting to a country that is a signatory to the Apostille Convention, your notarized Certificate of Free Sale and other documents will need only an Apostille, a certificate that declares that all of the supporting documentation is legal by the terms of the Convention. For information on Apostilles, please go to:
    All About Apostilles!
  • Non-Apostille Convention Members Depending upon the country of export, the requirements will vary. Generally, the Certificate of Free Sale will be created by the company, notarized, authenticated by the relevant secretary of state and by the Office of the United States Secretary of State and then submitted to the relevant embassy. Other documents may be required or additional certification necessary.