Good Manufacturing Certificate Labeling
The US Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act requires that all cosmetic products display information about ingredients, proper use, manufacturer, batch number and any necessary warnings. The Code of Federal Regulations also has requirements in regards to labeling.
These are the standards for proper labeling of cosmetic products:
- The principal display panel contains, in addition to the name of the product, the statements of identity and net contents.
- If the safety of the product has not been adequately substantiated, there is a "Warning - The safety of this product has not been determined" on the principal display panel.
- The information panel contains a list of ingredients if it is customarily sold to consumers for consumption at home.
- The information panel contains the name and address of the firm manufacturing and/or distributing the product.
- The information panel contains any warning statements required by 21 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) 740.11, 740.12 and 740.17.
- The directions for safe use of the product must be clear and understandable.
- If the product is a coal-tar hair dye, include the caution statement of sec 601(a) from the Food Drug & Cosmetic Act